Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Tennessee and pronouns
(08-29-2015, 01:22 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's how it should be. 

Hmm, my last name is completely phonetic but has 10 letters and whenever I get a phone call and the person gets through one syllable of it and then mutters out the rest before trailing off (because I know they're looking for me, obviously) I know it's someone working with an auto-dialing overload of information who is probably reading it as he/she is attempting to pronounce it.  That is to say, I've never had anyone who was calling about anything important ask if Nathan Vanduerdldudlrerullmehwhocares is there.

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that usually people who can't be bothered to bow down and give pronunciation effort on the names of others are named "Chris Smith" or something to that effect.  Are you named Chris Smith?  Mark Johnson?  Phil Philmybutt?

I will admit that I was working with the PhD department of a university and my ability to keep the mostly-Asian names straight or even know the gender of the person based upon the name alone was nil. I didn't act like it was beneath me to try, though. I admit that I was god awful at it, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: University of Tennessee and pronouns - Nately120 - 08-29-2015, 03:27 PM