Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Steelers build thru Drafts but Top picks tend to take starting jobs sooner - Our flaw
(02-28-2018, 03:02 PM)Go Cards Wrote: they retain interior OL players as well.

See DeCastro and Zeitler for example.

I would add that the Steelers (1) draft BPA in a position of need, regardless of position and (2) retain their best players, regardless of position.

We all recognize that the Bengals value certain positions in the draft and free agency -- CB, OT, DE, WR, QB, RB -- and devalue others -- OG, S, C, LB, DT.  Thus, we picked Ogbuehi over, e.g., Landon Collins in 2015 even though safety was arguably a more immediate need, and kept Dre over Zeitler.  In contrast, the Steelers pick players early in positions that we devalue, e.g., DeCastro, Pouncey, Shazier, Dupree, Timmons, even Polamolu (going back in time here ...) if they think they'll be great players, and keep them when they prove themselves, regardless of position.  They have no hard and fast rules regarding position value like we do -- they simply draft, play, and keep the guys they believe will be their best players.  

That's why in this draft I don't see us taking Nelson, Smith, or James even if one falls to us.  Not seeing Vea or Price either (even though I really like Price ...) 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Steelers build thru Drafts but Top picks tend to take starting jobs sooner - Our flaw - shanebo - 02-28-2018, 03:50 PM