Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Steelers build thru Drafts but Top picks tend to take starting jobs sooner - Our flaw
(02-28-2018, 03:50 PM)shanebo Wrote: I would add that the Steelers (1) draft BPA in a position of need, regardless of position and (2) retain their best players, regardless of position.

We all recognize that the Bengals value certain positions in the draft and free agency -- CB, OT, DE, WR, QB, RB -- and devalue others -- OG, S, C, LB, DT.  Thus, we picked Ogbuehi over, e.g., Landon Collins in 2015 even though safety was arguably a more immediate need, and kept Dre over Zeitler.  In contrast, the Steelers pick players early in positions that we devalue, e.g., DeCastro, Pouncey, Shazier, Dupree, Timmons, even Polamolu (going back in time here ...) if they think they'll be great players, and keep them when they prove themselves, regardless of position.  They have no hard and fast rules regarding position value like we do -- they simply draft, play, and keep the guys they believe will be their best players.  

That's why in this draft I don't see us taking Nelson, Smith, or James even if one falls to us.  Not seeing Vea or Price either (even though I really like Price ...) 

Well put.

A "general" analogy of what I have been saying would be like having two Race Car teams that each has limited resources.

Team One puts most of their limited resources into making every weak part on the current Car as good as possible for that specific race season. Replacing poor performing parts now before the current race season begins.

Team two puts most of their limited resources into having spare replacement parts in place for parts that will go bad after the current race season but those spare parts will be ready for the next racing season.

One car is better prepared to race now and the other car is assumed to be ready for the next racing season but still must race now.

Next season comes and Team One does another REAL TIME evaluation of their car and again makes every weak part on the current Car as good as possible.

Next season comes and Team Two is totally reliant on the replacement parts they bought the year before, trusts in those parts and again buys different future replacement parts in preparation for what they think they may need to replace a year from now.

The two cars race again.

Again, this is a "general analogy" to make a distinction between what the Steelers tend to do more often than the Bengals tend to do.

A Steeler tendency to use early draft picks more often to upgrade the current starting team on the field for that current season.

Bengals tend to build a player pipeline to help a future Bengal team weather the loss of players that are starting on this current season's team but are expected to be gone in the future.

I would like to see the Bengals use a better Balance of the two strategies.

More of a real time upgrading of the current starting team on the field focus that can still occasionally swing back to the pipeline mentality based on who is available early in drafts.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Steelers build thru Drafts but Top picks tend to take starting jobs sooner - Our flaw - depthchart - 02-28-2018, 04:44 PM