Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals want to make Mixon the “Bell cow” back
(02-28-2018, 08:09 PM)Trademark Wrote: Bengals player personnel director Duke Tobin said that Mixon will be the lead running back next season, and they plan to lean on him heavily. This isn't a surprise considering Mixon began getting double-digit carries when Jeremy Hill went on injured reserve late in the season. It does essentially seal Hill's imminent departure, however. Hill will be a free agent in March, and has already posted his goodbyes to Cincinnati on social media. He was not even mentioned during Tobin's news conference at the NFL scouting combine Wednesday.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/29659/bengals-plan-to-make-joe-mixon-the-bell-cow-running-back-in-2018

First, I don't think very much of Duke Tobin.  Show me his play-off wins or Super Bowls anywhere.  I see no reason to be impressed by Duke Tobin so far.  

As for Bell Cow, I noticed most NFL Super Bowl type teams don't have a Bell Cow.  What Eagles and other teams use is a stable of running backs.  Teams have a good 3 yards and a cloud of dust type, a big run type and a pass catcher type all on same team. Not just Eagles, but Bears with their Bell Cow mix in the pass catcher. Redskins mix in runners and pass catchers. Saints mix it up, so do Jaguars and Steelers even with Bell.  Mixon has yet to prove he is a Bell Cow. Is Bernard back with Bengals, because often he looked like Bengals best back in 2017.  Bengals need 3 or 4 good running backs. I'm noticing more and more the play-off teams have a Stable Of Running Backs such as Super Bowl Champ Eagles.  Patriots use a stable of running backs.  Some of the best Bengals teams ever had a stable of running backs such as 1988.  

Now I'm not knocking Mixon. He is still being based on potential, not production though. In 2018, we will need much more than Mixon if winning is the goal. We need Mixon, Bernard and maybe somebody to step up and be better than both of them.  If the Bears are taking that monster Howard out and putting in other running backs, you know today's NFL is about a stable of backs.  Eagles had running backs and were already being considered Super Bowl, but they added Ajaya from Dolphins. Still, he did not come in and get all the carries. Using 3 or 4 runners got them a Super Bowl. They had great runners, but not one the Bell Cow. 

So I don't agree with Tobin that we need a Bell Cow. I would hope Tobin stays out of these coaches way and lets them draft and coach. Tobin and Bengals have been making some draft picks the coaches haven't agreed with and the picks not all that great. I want to see Lasor and Austin in their first free agency and draft with Bengals have more input than Tobin.  Also our new O Line coach from Dallas.  Unlike Tobin, Austin has play-off wins and Super Bowls. We brought in some good coaches and maybe Bengals Front Office needs to stop gumming up the works because what Bengals Front Office has been doing isn't working. No play-off wins since 1990 season before Paul Brown died not working. I'm hoping for LESS TOBIN and MORE OF THESE COACHES DECIDING THINGS. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals want to make Mixon the “Bell cow” back - kevin - 03-01-2018, 04:47 AM