Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump confidant dumped millions in steel-related stock last week
(03-02-2018, 05:31 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I forgot to add, there may be somewhere that "executive privilege" might fit into this in an attempt to scuttle all of this before it even starts.

Edit:
Others who have a more detailed understanding of civics and know more about the scope of "executive privilege" can correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm looking at you Matt, and Pat.

You'd really have to look at specific circumstances to get into the privilege argument. Contrary to what the current administration seems to believe, executive privilege is something that can be claimed related to specific information that has been requested by another branch. There must be a valid reason for the privilege to be claimed, which is most often related to national security. It can also be overridden in certain circumstances if it is necessary to carry out justice.

Tl;dr: executive privilege would not hold up to judicial scrutiny for something like this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump confidant dumped millions in steel-related stock last week - Belsnickel - 03-02-2018, 05:55 PM