Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did Bodine grade in last two games
(03-05-2018, 01:34 PM)grampahol Wrote: Something you very seldom hear is a coach come right out and say [insert name] (player) sucks.. It's fine for fans to say these things, but quite another for coaches to publicly outright call players names. It goes over as petty and vindictive and rather unprofessional..  While it may be true and some players are not as good as others there's still a certain decorum expected of coaches or anyone of any position of authority. Sounds like a recipe for losing the respect of anyone who is or ever was the players friend much less team mates.. 

My theory is that different players respond differently.

Some players might be highly motivated by a coach calling them out in the press, while other will just respond with some comment claiming that the coach doing the criticizing is not perfect either.

I know that when I played I was never impressed by a coach screaming and losing his shit.  To me that just seemed like a sign of weakness.  I had much more respect for the coaches who would make me feel bad about letting down myself or my teammates.  BUT some players responded better to a red faced, screaming, spit slinging maniac.

So to me their is not one "best way" to be a coach.  The best coaches are the ones that figure out what motivates each individual player.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How did Bodine grade in last two games - fredtoast - 03-05-2018, 03:01 PM