Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wife of 7th Special Forces Group vet faces deportation under tighter immigration rule
(03-06-2018, 02:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: Did Trump actually create an EO on bumpstocks or just tweet about it?  I don't remember him signing anything.

(03-06-2018, 02:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: From my understanding he directed the DOJ; however, I'm not sure how that modifies the point.

(03-06-2018, 02:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: Just my curiosity.

There has been some debate about if Trump's tweets are official presidential statements or can officially reflect policy.  And I don't remember if this was just a thought he threw out there of if there was an actual EO.

Bfine is correct, He did issue an executive memo, which is a type of executive action. It's basically the same thing as an EO but, as Bfine specified, it's different in that it is usually used to direct an agency in doing something.

Tweets themselves are "official statements" on his behalf but do not constitute an executive action and have no legal standing in terms of policy creation. Judges have referred to them, however, to establish context for his implementation of policy ( i.e. interpreting his EO as discriminatory based on statements he tweeted related to it). 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wife of 7th Special Forces Group vet faces deportation under tighter immigration rule - BmorePat87 - 03-06-2018, 03:05 PM