Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Africa parliament votes to seize white owned land
(03-08-2018, 09:52 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Agreed. This issue is a very complex one and I am having a hard time with my view of it. The people that are leading some of these movements are not people that you want to be hitching any movement to. In addition to that, there is anti-white violence in the country that has been ignored by the government for the most part.

On the other side of this issue is that something like 75% of agricultural land in the country is owned by white people, which make up around 8% of the population. The land was acquired through European colonization which is theft when you boil it all down. With the current population still having a significant number of people that were alive during apartheid, those wounds are still very raw.

I disagree with any violence, that is a given. I would like to know more about the constitutional framework for the country before really digging into the issue of reparative takings for redistribution. It's easy to apply our norms to the situation, but our country ties liberty to property in a perverse way. I don't know if they do the same and that can create a totally different situation.

Edit: Upon a cursory reading of the constitution, specifically the bill of rights, I don't see how something like this could pass muster. Their courts should shoot this down if they are going to retain the rule of law in the country.

British Colonization was a great thing around the world. The fact that you dismiss it is pretty crazy. The developed world should be thanking them. Now if you want to complain about colonization the.ln certainly the Spanish colonization has left something to be desired.

Messages In This Thread
RE: South Africa parliament votes to seize white owned land - StLucieBengal - 03-08-2018, 01:48 PM