Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Africa parliament votes to seize white owned land
(03-08-2018, 11:46 PM)Dill Wrote: 1. I have never understood history to be about "bashing." Can we maybe learn something from all that colonial history? And that is why we revisit it when assessing alternatives today?   Are you sure it is a history of THEIR poor choices alone?

No doubt coming from Africa to America to be a slave was a poor choice, as was deciding to prevent Americans from owning Indian lands that Americans would make better use of.  But I keep thinking there might be another angle from which history might be viewed, one that allowed civilizers to apply to themselves the same standards which they apply to others. The choice NOT to do that--what sort of choice is that?

Is there a glimpse of a possibility that comfort with past "unpleasantness" might still inform current politics when Americans deal with countries still digging out from under the legacy of "harsh things" necessary for the progress of European countries?

2. And are you saying that you are VERY against what you call abortion-genocide nowadays because you hold some standard which makes all human life valuable regardless of race? Not to be taken for the convenience of others?  Yet you are not against all the necessary unpleasantness of "modernizing" the world that you suppose ended sometime back--an unpleasantness which entailed genocide?

The notion that fetuses have "souls" and are already human beings is a conclusion of ancient and medieval metaphysics. Why isn't acceptance of abortion a feature of modernity? Why isn't your resistance to it a "bad choice" in the face of progress?

Afrikaners was what I typed. The auto correct changed it to Afrikans. I was trying to keep it on SA.

You can’t cry over spilled milk. And when people complain about British and Dutch colonists it just annoys me because we can’t roll back what happened. I do think think there is legit complaints over French and Spanish colonies.

In todays modern and civilized society he fact we promote killing minority’s babies is just gross. Shame on us.

Messages In This Thread
RE: South Africa parliament votes to seize white owned land - StLucieBengal - 03-09-2018, 01:17 AM