Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump continues to back aluminum and steel tariffs despite Republican fears
(03-08-2018, 08:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: Here's a problem I see:  Are they going to be the union jobs that left 30 years ago?

Better wages? Health insurance? Pensions? 

My guess is no.

Sure, some will be.  But most will not.

So how much of a bump in wages we say may be small.

For our area, these are jobs that went out in the last 10-12 years. What the workers are hearing is that the jobs will be returning at those pay rates.

(03-08-2018, 09:08 PM)hollodero Wrote:  
I sure don't intend to dismiss your whole point, but Trump's tariffs won't just affect steel and aluminum. There will be retaliations. You'd have to take that into account.

Awesome. Maybe if we have additional tariffs, other industries will start producing again here too. I hope the retaliations are broad. China and Russia can only keep flooding the world with cheap resources to a point. Eventually they will run out of resources.

(03-09-2018, 01:51 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I understand the need for embracing jobs that don't require college degrees, but some are predicting this move could cost a similar blue collar industry billions and tens of thousands of jobs. Ford and GM could both see a billion dollar price tag associated with this, which is why I ask if it truly outweighs the costs. 

This is a move will that will benefit one industry at the cost of dozens of other industries. 

My heart breaks for Ford and gm. They pushed for nafta to save money. The repercussions of that have by and large been the long slow shrinking economy of the last three decades. Why? Because used to they paid a living wage and that supported dozens of industries and thousands of businesses.

I’d be in favor of tariffs on ford and gm plants in Canada and Mexico too.

And, no, you can make cars here and still make a profit. Several foreign car makers do it. Many of them using us steel. Foreign companies have figured it or. Maybe us companies should follow suit instead of just looking for handouts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump continues to back aluminum and steel tariffs despite Republican fears - Benton - 03-09-2018, 10:13 AM