Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something isn't right about our free agency
(03-11-2018, 01:50 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Every team has a budget and every team is strict with there budget. The problem with the Bengals is they keep guys who they know are not worth with what they are getting paid past their prime and thus keeps their bugdet lower than other teams. For example do we really need MJ, V Rey, or Laffell on the team? Did we really need Pat Sims last season? Did we need Robert Geathers from 2012 to 2014? Did we need Leon Hall in 15? I could go on and On but I think I made my point.

No the team did not need to retain those players at their rate of pay. The problem is that the Bengals strategy of lowballing guaranteed upfront money and lowballing average/year money is predicated on allowing players who sign those style of contract to realize the full length of contract. In other words, other teams cut guys loose early and the player never sees the full value of the contract, only the initial guarantee and whatever yearly salary earned to that point. Mike has mentioned this on several occasions. If the Bengals don’t allow players to earn the full life of the contract, they lose the leverage to offer reduced guarantees and lower yearly averages. Joining the rest of the league on roster flexibility eliminates lowballing leverage.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Something isn't right about our free agency - t3r3e3 - 03-11-2018, 02:24 AM