Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Administration Levies Russian Sanctions
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/new-russia-sanctions-are-trumps-strongest-action-against-moscow--but-far-short-of-what-congress-wanted/2018/03/15/2a2f8352-2869-11e8-bc72-077aa4dab9ef_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_trumprussia-815pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Quote:The Trump administration on Thursday took its strongest action to date to punish Moscow for interfering in the 2016 election, imposing fresh financial sanctions on Russian government hackers and spy agencies.

The administration also formally backed Britain’s claims that Moscow is almost certainly to blame for a chemical toxin attack against a former Russian spy living in England who was found comatose along with his daughter earlier this month.

The sanctions were the first such actions taken under legislation passed nearly unanimously last year by Congress and follow months of criticism that the White House has been slow to counter Russian aggression. But the steps taken Thursday fell well short of the full penalties Congress authorized and focused on a narrow list of targets rather than the broader range of individuals and entities believed to have played a role in Russia’s efforts to interfere in the election.

In both cases, pressure from Congress and allies helped nudge the White House toward a stronger response. Republicans have joined Democrats in urging the administration to penalize Russia more strongly, while suggesting that President Trump set aside concerns about examining the election interference that he initially dismissed as a “hoax.”

More at the link.

While I am happy some sanctions are being levied, this is a bit of a too little, too late situation. I know that there will be those that will say that nothing Trump could've done would have satisfied me, but had he implemented the sanctions Congress passed with massive bipartisan support I would have applauded him and given two thumbs up. This gets half a thumb up, from me.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
Trump Administration Levies Russian Sanctions - Belsnickel - 03-16-2018, 10:10 AM