Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germany to block Israel from getting a seat on the U.N. Security council?
(03-21-2018, 04:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Still you must admit if any agreement were made and Israel fulfilled their obligation of waiting 20 years the Germany would be best served and honor it; as all we are talking about is a 2 year term. Israel on the UN Security Counsel is not going to change a thing. But like a said Merkle is free to do what she wants, and as I said it just makes Germany look bad, ultimately it is up to the rest of the UN if the agreement should be upheld

But Germany wasn't a part of that agreement. Holbrooke agreed with Israel (if there ever was such an agreement) and Germany wasn't asked about it, didn't nod to it, had nothing to do with it. When two parties agree on something a third party should do, why should that third party feel bound by that.

That being said, maybe Germany should back down. Then again, it's Israel, the country that ignores everything the UN demands them to do, that showed no respect for that institution whatsoever - it's just the weirdest of countries to claim any rights in that very organization they usually ignore and laugh at. The fact that they "waited" 20 years really doesn't mean much. It wasn't Germany that told them to wait. It maybe was Germany and a bunch of other countries that made clear Israel wouldn't stand a chance, that's possible but I wouldn't know. They probably had bad chances at any time, and in an arrangement-free election they probably still have.

All that being said, I don't take issue with other perspectives on that. But calling Germany an "enemy" and evoking Fourth Reich rhetorics over a frigging UN council seat is just... well, insert a suitable word here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Germany to block Israel from getting a seat on the U.N. Security council? - hollodero - 03-21-2018, 04:22 PM