Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The left doesn't want to take your guns!
(03-30-2018, 03:03 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think you are overestimating the trouble this causes for the Democratic party. I don't believe any of these officials have advocated or agreed with the idea of repeal (Schumer came out almost immediately to say that wasn't the part position).

Let me ask you this, if a politician is at a rally and a key speaker states something controversial are they not immediately connected to this statement unless they immediately disavow it? We've seen examples of this very recently.  I also disagree completely on how this hurts the Dems in November.  They are the party of gun control, in comparison to the GOP.  The more the general public hears about gun control efforts the more they will be motivated to vote on the subject.  Mass voter turnout on gun control has always favored the pro gun side.  The only possible saving grace for the Dems is that we still have seven months for this issue to go away.  I just don't see the GOP or the Parkland kids, letting that happen though.

Quote:They have been in favor or expanded background checks, which the majority of the public is in agreement with.

True.  here's the problem though.  Politically, when a person hears five reasonable things and one crazy one in a proposal they are going to tend to view the whole proposal in a negative light.  It's human nature.  If you have ninety-nine good days at work and one really bad one your boss is going to tend the remember the really bad one above all the others.

Quote:That has been their primary gun control shtick beyond the AWB, which is also (mind bogglingly) popular.

The AWB was never likely to happen, it's definitely not going to happen now.  First, what constitutes an "assault weapon" is inanely defined.  Secondly, the definition would be under even more scrutiny now.  Lastly, it has zero effect on gun related homicides as rifles are used in a miniscule fraction of gun related crime.  If you're going to deprive people of their property and put numerous businesses out of business you'd better have a very serious reason for doing so.  My friend already moved his store to Las Vegas as his CA FFL was put out of business by CA's new gun laws.  Large employers such as Noveske, Daniel Defense, Knight's Armament and Magpul would be affected.

Quote:If they stick to their guns (see what I did there) on those two things they can pull out of that with few problems.

They'll get the fix NICS and that's it.  Any momentum they had to push the GOP was instantly dissolved with the perceived, and real, overreach.  There is zero incentive for a GOP member of Congress to go along with any further measures and every reason for them to keep the issue in the spotlight.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The left doesn't want to take your guns! - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-30-2018, 03:38 PM