Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The left doesn't want to take your guns!
(04-02-2018, 01:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Is it? What you're seeing is a false dichotomy being presented. What I mean is that the question asked was about the repeal of the second, but that doesn't mean everyone who says yes to that wants no guns or confiscation. Were there follow-up questions regarding a more narrowly defined amendment? Did the pollster ask anything other that that dichotomy? If not, then they themselves skewed these results. What would it have looked like with multiple options?

Matt, please.  We both know this is true of almost every poll ever cited in the media.  Even if I'm overstating the frequency, we both know this is nothing new.

Quote:In looking at the poll (here, if you're interested: https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/h8n9gvrqyj/econTabReport.pdf), I can definitely say that the way the question is presented skews the answer. Were you to present those people with choices, those choices being repeal, replace, modify, or do nothing, most of the people who would go for the middle two options.

Again, this is rather common and I believe we are all aware of the fact that polls can skew responses.  I just find it very interesting that the value of polls seems to vary by how much our posters agree with the poll's findings.

Quote:In addition, this survey being conducted during this timeframe is also going to increase the positive responses to appeal.

I've been assured by Fred that there is no such thing as political momentum so you cannot be right about this.

Quote:To sum up, both the question construction and timing allow for an inflated affirmative response to the question of repealing the 2nd Amendment. It was bad polling, it was bad journalism for outlets to really put as much stock in it as they did, and it has been used to stoke fears in the minds of those that put much more stock into this issue than others.

I don't disagree with a single thing you just said.  I also firmly believe that the true end game for many anti-gun types is confiscation.  They won't admit it, but it comes out during times like this.  At the very least you have to admit that the calls for repealing, at the level they are being made, are a rather new thing.  Couple this with the severe gun laws in deep blue states like CA, and what person wouldn't come to the conclusion that the Democrats want this for the entire country?  Note, wanting something and thinking you'll get it are two separate things.  The distance between them, in this instance, appears to be shrinking.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The left doesn't want to take your guns! - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-02-2018, 04:24 PM