Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The left doesn't want to take your guns!
(04-02-2018, 04:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Matt, please.  We both know this is true of almost every poll ever cited in the media.  Even if I'm overstating the frequency, we both know this is nothing new.

Oh, I know. It doesn't discount what I said, though.

(04-02-2018, 04:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Again, this is rather common and I believe we are all aware of the fact that polls can skew responses.  I just find it very interesting that the value of polls seems to vary by how much our posters agree with the poll's findings.

And again, this doesn't discount my point. Of course, you making this argument with me is a bit different than most people. I'm one that actually likes to read the questions, the sample size, methodology, etc., before putting stock into a poll. It's one of the reasons I prefer meta-analyses for things like the approval rating stuff. Even though that methodology can be a bit more straightforward, the meta-analysis will provide a better picture than any individual poll. In this instance, they added those questions to the poll because of the political climate (I only looked at the preceding questions for February and there was no mention of them), so it's more difficult to see any sort of trends.

Edit: I should specify, one bad question does not a bad poll make. Some of the questions on the poll were good, that one just isn't good for anything, really.

(04-02-2018, 04:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't disagree with a single thing you just said.  I also firmly believe that the true end game for many anti-gun types is confiscation.  They won't admit it, but it comes out during times like this.  At the very least you have to admit that the calls for repealing, at the level they are being made, are a rather new thing.  Couple this with the severe gun laws in deep blue states like CA, and what person wouldn't come to the conclusion that the Democrats want this for the entire country?  Note, wanting something and thinking you'll get it are two separate things.  The distance between them, in this instance, appears to be shrinking.

You're still making a lot of assumptions, here. I would bet you my entire net worth that if there was a methodologically sound survey conducted that asked respondents whether or not they wanted to see a ban on private firearm ownership and confiscation of firearms currently in the hands of private owners, that the result would be less than 15% of Democrats/liberals in favor (both strong and somewhat).

Granted, my net worth isn't a high number (I don't even think it is a positive one), but I'd make that bet either way.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: The left doesn't want to take your guns! - Belsnickel - 04-02-2018, 04:37 PM