Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scotish man convicted for "offensive speech"
(04-03-2018, 11:31 AM)hollodero Wrote: I agree without hesitation of course. (Although Arturo does have a point when mentioning the "anti-communist" era in US politics)
Otherwise, recent US developments wouldn't be so stunnning.

Well, "not backed up" is a matter of perspective. Overall, yeah I too think Trump would very much like to run things in that fashion, as you said, I forgo examples.
Europe's certainly not perfect and critique is always fine, but I still feel like doubling down on the point that in these times it's a bit out of place for the US to call European leaders authoritarian shitheads and European voters prone to said figures. As of now, it's the US prone to that Trump guy.

Yeah well, that doesn't speak to Trump's intentions though.

OK, that's just not true, not if you put it this way. I have complaints about how we handle the crisis and sure can say so. Other people, politicians even, have complaints and some solutions I'd consider very grim, quite hateful and such, and they can talk about that everywhere in length, they get votes, they don't get trouble with the law. Same goes for the supporters, they are free to state their point of view and do so quite visibly. People that get threatened by the law actually have to call migrants subhuman scum or suggest mass killings or gas chambers or something of that sort. Beyond that, there's nothing happening regarding the law.

Again, disclaimer, I'm not 100% fine with the law as it is and also think it's ridiculous to fine the guy in the OP.

Trump is really aside the point.

Europe has a history with this crap. It's way more extensive and numerous than in the US. Soit's not a stretch to say that they're more apt to tolerate it. It's the equlivant of a kid saying "it's okay, I'm used to it" when someone tells him he shouldn't let that big kid bully him all the time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scotish man convicted for "offensive speech" - THE Bigzoman - 04-03-2018, 05:00 PM