Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scotish man convicted for "offensive speech"
(04-03-2018, 05:41 PM)hollodero Wrote: Oh he very much is not. This is your president. And in times where Trump is president, Americans don't get to lecture western Europe about freedom of speech. We can clearly see the Trump version of that concept, the one your electorate went to. It's having a state propaganda channel to flatter the leadership, and threaten unwilling media to sue them, to open up the libel laws for being able to. Not for obvious lies - for being "dishonest". Trump calls the uncooperating media the enemy of the people. So these are things going on in US leadership these times. It just looks funny when you point to some other democracies and their "authoritarian shitheads" with that huge elephant in your own yard.

Don't call us stupid kids. Please. We don't get bullied all the time. It's also quite easily avoidable, don't train your dog Sieg Heil poses and share it on youtube. And I agree, people should feel free to be such douchebags, probably, there's a point that can be made about this. But don't exaggerate this example to a large freedom of speech crisis in Europe.

I wouldn't call it lecturing, but certainly we can comment on free speech in Europe.  Nothing about our free speech has changed.  I assume you are talking about Fox which is a privately owned company and can say what they want. 
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scotish man convicted for "offensive speech" - michaelsean - 04-03-2018, 05:48 PM