Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military Will Be Used To Protect Border
(04-06-2018, 06:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So all that makes Trump's ordering the NG to the border different than his 2 processors?

Yes, exactly as I said above, in posts #95 and 96.

E.g., Bush's announced use of the National Guard was part of a 1.9 Billion proposal put before Congress, in which the legal status of the Guard had been thought through and defined into the mission. It included a rotation plan, estimation of the number of needed beds, etc.

Without saying EXACTLY how much the deployment would cost, he linked the funding to the existing request to Congress for funding for border operations. That was an inherent limit.

His announcement came with estimates (including a time frame) and answers, a stage in a process during which WH staff working as an Executive team got Bush the numbers and answers he needed.

Here is a link from 2006 to give you some ideal of how Bush's deployment entered the news cycle.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12796688/ns/us_news-security/t/bush-ordering-guard-border/#.Wsfj0msUncs

And I might add that border crossings in 2006 were TRIPLE what they are today, so CIRCUMSTANCES are different as well as policy.

(04-06-2018, 06:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I figured this one is different because folks just don't like him.

Would it be fair to say that some folks just like him, and that's why they don't see any difference between competent implementation of policy and incompetent?

Or could it be some folks have no measure of competence beyond rhetoric and announcements? From that perspective, the current deployment WOULD be no different from any previous. There would be no basis for judging it premature or ill-planned, because who is looking at estimates and mission goals and threat assessment? People who don't like Trump would complain because they don't like Trump, not because Trump was actually, demonstrably, mismanaging the resources entrusted to him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Military Will Be Used To Protect Border - Dill - 04-06-2018, 07:05 PM