Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys
(04-10-2018, 07:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well that doesn't make any sense in the context of what I wrote.

If we teach our daughters that they can stand on their own they don't need to "know" they need a man to protect them.  

In general I agree that a man and woman should stand up for each other but this concept of they "need" a man to stand up for them is where we differ.  That is essentially teach a girl that while she can be her own person she should really differ to her husband (or man) because that's HIS job.  She should sit quietly and let him do it.

And, to me, that's one of the more moronic ideas every put forth on this board.

I was raised by a stay at home mom.  My dad worked (still does). That was the deal they agreed on when they got married. He was what you would consider a "real man". Hunted, worked in a factory, worked on a farm, served in the military, etc. He's a perfect example of a "good" or "proper" man.  

But I'll give you a bit of advice about my mom:  She can CERTAINLY stand up for herself and I'd bet a weeks worth of your salary you would back right down from all 5'4" of her!  Smirk

No one needed to tell her that she "needed" her man to stand up and protect her.  Dad certainly would and did...but they also did things as a team.  Equal members. Not one with a "role" that ad to be played out.  And I respect them a lot more for it.

When you do things as a team, each member of the team has a role. Sounds like you grew up with a normal and productive family setup.

We teach our daughters that they need a man because they have a role in a family as well. When you disregard their role and take it over you show. That they aren’t Needed. Which leads to many more problems.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mom: Why raising my son made me question what female empowerment is doing to boys - StLucieBengal - 04-10-2018, 09:51 AM