Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AD better deep ball than u think
(04-10-2018, 08:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: just your opinion.

Does not matter as long as the same formula is used for every QB.

He throws fewer deep passes because fewer deep passes are called.  It has nothing to do with the size of the "window"

Of course the quality of who your'e throwing the ball to matters. That is not opinion, that is a factual statement. If you have the best deep threat in green to throw to ball, as well as other players he had as deep threats like marvin jones , then it will matter a huge amount.

Here is someone that does share my supposed opinion. Look who is number one. AJ Green

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000711510/article/aj-green-desean-jackson-among-top-10-deep-threats

Here is someone that does share my supposed opinion. Look who is number two. Marvin Jones

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920662/article/tyreek-hill-marvin-jones-among-best-deepthreat-wrs-of-2017

If they use the same flawed formula then it does matter. The qb rating system is subjective and assigns weights to each category. Who says those weights that are assigned are correct.  Yes it will matter if some qb's throw it more often away from the end zone as opposed to a qb only throwing it when he's close to the end zone. That is why dalton can go 3 for 16 one year and they give him a 106 qb rating. 

I'll use an extreme example. What if in mlb they use a flawed formula that says, for every odd inning you get two points for a hit and even innings you get one point for a hit. Then if some hitter gets more hits in the odd innings, they will have a higher point total. So how is that fair even though this absurdly flawed formula is applied the same to everyone.

Heres a link showing Dalton ranking 17th in the league in bad throws for 2014 , which is below average, yet he had a well above average qb rating on deep throws over 30 yards of 107 . If he's throwing more bad balls on average his deep ball should show a below average rating.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/2014-incomplete-pass-breakdown-passers

It does matter how often the ball is thrown deep. If the qb throws it less often he is picking his spots and more likely to complete the pass and get a higher rating because the windows, on average , were bigger .  How do you know that, for each play, the pass plays called for were not a deep pass. How would you know that Dalton didn't have as many deep pass plays called as someone like big ben, yet decided to check it down more often because receivers weren't open enough for his liking. Do you have access to the plays that were called. That is purely opinion .
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: AD better deep ball than u think - J24 - 04-07-2018, 11:55 PM
RE: AD better deep ball than u think - wolverine515151 - 04-10-2018, 12:55 PM