Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supreme Court sides with immigrant facing deportation
(04-17-2018, 01:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I must admit that the arguments between Justices confuses the hell out of me at times, but in reading this it appears Gorsuch states the severity is Life, liberty, or property; but burglary doesn't fit this?

My understanding is that the position of Gorsuch was that the law stated the deportations would be for violence and then they were trying to put burglary within the definition of violent crime within the application of the law. His contention was that because the penalty was severe -- liberty among the life, liberty, and property line -- there needs to be more specificity within the law for it to pass constitutional muster.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Supreme Court sides with immigrant facing deportation - Belsnickel - 04-17-2018, 06:48 PM