Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Paid Protesters Protest not getting Paid
(05-22-2015, 04:11 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Never heard of a paid volunteer, huh?  And, um, aren't they submitting an application?

It's not semantics.  Paid literally means the transfer of money from one person or organization to another.  If one protestor receives money and another doesn't, does that just make them relatively more or less "unpaid"?

In this thread, "paid protestor" was used synonymously with "hired protestor", as in they were paid to go out and protest. This is based on OP's story.

I made it a point to phrase things "paid to protest" or "hired protestor" for this very reason as I knew people would run to this semantic. Like I said, if your response to me pointing out that there is no evidence that they were hired or paid to protest is "technically paid protestor could mean they were given money to help pay for their out of pocket expenses" then that's fine. It doesn't actually refute anything I said as getting reimbursed is not the same as being hired to do something.

oh... and for your other point:

-yea, paid volunteers exist. Some are hired to do the "volunteer" work. Some are given reimbursement for out of pocket costs. Since one is considered a job, they are very different things

-I also have to fill out an application for a marriage license. That doesn't mean the county government is hiring me. I have to fill out an application for college. That doesn't mean my college hired me. They're filling out applications for receiving funding, not for getting hired.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Paid Protesters Protest not getting Paid - BmorePat87 - 05-22-2015, 04:26 PM