Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House punishes Memphis for removing Confederate statues with $250,000 budget cut
(04-20-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This was a conflict between the City and the State.  City basically claimed they could control what was on city property.  State tried to control what was on city property by claiming jurisdiction over "historical preservation" (a power usually reserved for use against private property owners).

State got PISSED when the city found a loophole, so they withheld $250K that was supposed to help pay for the City's Bicentennial celebration.  I guess they can argue that the State should not have to pay for a City celebration, but Memphis is a huge tourist site and the celebration there would benefit the state with additional business and sales tax. 

I am well aware of all of this.  Nor does any of it detract from my point, one petty and vindictive action begat another.

Messages In This Thread
RE: House punishes Memphis for removing Confederate statues with $250,000 budget cut - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-20-2018, 01:04 PM