Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Hope Bengals Don't Get Stupid In Early Rounds
(04-23-2018, 12:04 PM)kevin Wrote: WE know they need blocking.  THEY know they need blocking.  Everybody knows Dalton will get killed every play without blocking. Without blocking we can't even run to offset pass rush because our runners get clobbered in backfield as much as Dalton. Without blocking receivers like Green are pointless because Dalton has no time as defense all over him.  With no blocking Offense goes 3 and out often taking no time off clock. This puts Bengals D right back on field all game getting no help from offense and no D is good enough to be on field all game. So with no blocking Bengals not only don't score but in losing battle of field position and keeping our Defense on field too long the other teams do score. With no blocking Bengals will be lucky to win 4 games in 2018. So We know they need blocking. Bengals have said they know they need blocking.

ESPN mock draft had Bengals taking a quarterback from Louisville in round 1.  I don't care how good this quarterback is, the Bengals have no business drafting a quarterback, running back, receiver, tight end in rounds 1, 2 or 3.  I don't care who is on the board or who has fallen.  If Bengals draft as ESPN had them picking, Bengals will be lucky to win 4 games.

I am hoping players fall to Bengals but Blockers and Tacklers. Bengals are WEAK. Way too much finesse draft picks last year, not enough big guys and O Line was completely over looked until late in round 5. They even took a kicker they cut earlier in 5.  NO, this year mist be Blocking and Tackling.  This draft should provide a top Center and also a top Guard or Tackle and also a Top pass rushing Linebacker as team says they want, and also a top Safety team needs. I see no reason why Bengals can't fill these needs with first 4 picks early, unless they get stupid as ESPN predicts.  If they take finesse players early, they will not get much needed Blocking and Tackling. More finesse players early will only guarantee a losing season as Bengals stay too weak to beat the Big Boys in AFC North and NFL.

Come Saturday, I want to hear that on Thursday and Friday Bengals drafted Blockers.  I can accept it if they drafted a Tackler, but there better be a Blocker taken Thursday or Friday. I would love to hear the first 2 picks are blockers. A Center and either a Guard or Tackle in best blocker that falls to them.  If they add edge rushing linebacker and safety in first 4 picks, then Bengals aren't as weak and can go out and play with the Big Boys finally.  Such a draft gives Bengals a chance to return to play-offs in 2018. If instead they draft quarterbacks and such early, they are doomed and might as well not even play the season because Dalton and Mixon will get career injured taking all this hits with no blocking.

In my mind, they could use the first 2 picks on O-line and then spend the rest of the Draft on other positions and the O-line would be dramatically upgraded.

Say RT/LT Mike McGlinchey in round one and one of the Top 3 Centers in round 2. Let's say Frank Ragnow.

From round 3 on they could draft other positions. (Still have the option to take an O-lineman but wouldn't have to)

Jake Fisher can compete with others on the roster for the right guard spot.

The O-line would be infused with Top talent and the Bengals would still have two 3rd round picks plus the rest of the Draft to get other positions.

Can't keep hoping the O-line gets better. They need to flat out make it get better.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Hope Bengals Don't Get Stupid In Early Rounds - depthchart - 04-23-2018, 12:17 PM