Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man Put To Death For 1989 Murder
(04-24-2018, 10:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Severity of crime equals severity of punishment.

Take for instance "can never recover from death" argument. Should the punishment for forceable rape/imprisonment be the same as murder? The rape/imprisoned victim can recover from the crimes committed against him/her; the deceased cannot. So why shouldn't the punishment be proportional to the crime? 

I'd imagine most are; however, the time cannot be reversed. I also sure there are many innocent men that have spent a life wrongly imprisoned, life everyday knowing they are innocent, and die in that very state. To me to abolish capital punishment is simply throwing the baby out with the bath water. The focus should be and has been on improved methods of investigation. But unfortunately, once all the evidence is presented, a suspect has been found guilty by a jury of his or her peers, and the sentence is death; then the sentence should be carried out. People die everyday for unjustified reasons. But we are allowed to pick and choose what we apply zero tolerance to.

LOL I have never seen the death penalty compared to a baby before. Who wouldn't want to save a baby?

In the majority of the hundreds of cases of wrongful conviction, the problem has not been faulty "methods" but official misconduct and perjury. https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/causes-wrongful-convictions

"Proportional" gets really fuzzy when understood in some pre modern sense, like an eye for an eye.

If one person shoots another in the leg illegally, we don't shoot the shooter in the leg because that is "proportional."

Since the 19th century, a proportional punishment means the punishment is calibrated to deterrence as well as recognition of degree of violation. In fact, one can track the progress of civilization through the history of the definition of proportional punishment, all the way to the present in which all 1st world countries except the US have abolished capital punishment.  In authoritarian states from Saudi Arabia to China, it still "makes sense" to carry the death penalty once the verdict has been pronounced.

This poor woman was hauled straight from the courtroom. People die every day for unjustified reasons. Saving money is one. The Chinese save a lot.  The deceased's family is charged for the cost of the bullet.

[Image: chinaexecution.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Man Put To Death For 1989 Murder - Dill - 04-25-2018, 12:29 AM