Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome Sam Hubbard and Malik Jefferson!
(04-28-2018, 12:49 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: It's hard to hate on Sam Hubbard because he's from Cincinnati. He probably dreamed of playing for us as a kid.

He might have had the highest football IQ of any defensive player this year. He has the heart and motor.

However, having said it's hard to hate on him, that's exactly what I'm about to do.

He had 42 tackles, I believe, and 7 sacks. The only reason he came out his JR year is because next year's DE class was stronger.

If he goes to the 5-7 round next year he's not gonna make as much.

I dare anybody to look at his tape and say his play blows you away, cause it won't. It's solid.

There's only 1 reason he declined to do the bench press and 40 yards dash at the combine. He's weaker in his lower body cause he's had to add 70 pounds in 3 years switching from safety to DE, physical speaking that's not all muscle mass. He did what 16 reps at his pro day?

He can develop his body to get stronger over the years, but it's when you couple that with the reason that he had to make the switch in the first place. He's slow. He runs a 5 flat in the 40 yard dash. If he's gonna have to get bigger to get stronger, then he'll also get slower potentially.

How many successful 5.1 running 4-3 DE'S can you think of in the NFL? He's smart and takes good angles. That can make up for it to a degree, but only a degree.

I think we should of took Phillips from Stanford.

Just look at his tape, then at Sam's. Then give me your honest opinion of who is better.

Regardless what you think of Hubbard, it is apples to oranges in comparing with Phillips... DE/LB to a DT... so the argument from your end would be more picking the DT over the flex player.. not Hubbard v. Phillips.  I also see DE as a larger need than DT.. Johnson could be cut, Dunlap might not be resigned and we lost Smith... we have Atkins locked in, so the need at DT is a bit less than need for DE
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Welcome Sam Hubbard and Malik Jefferson! - Essex Johnson - 04-28-2018, 09:01 AM