Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIVE ME YOUR BENGALS DRAFT GRADES!
(04-28-2018, 09:39 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I rate this year's draft based on initial impression of talent, not based on how successful the talent will be in three years.  Also, my rating is based on my opinion as a fan, not as a scout or someone who really knows the players.  

I believe the Cincinnati Bengals had a sold draft of high football IQ athletes with excellent work ethic which are described as Try-hards.  Most of the picks are highly motivated; have displayed decent character traits. Nevertheless, there were no "wow" picks or consensus "studs" with star power.  Conversely, there were no real head-scratchers.  The Bengals filled some needs but did not lay rest to questions along the Offensive Line, particularly the RT position. There is no clear-cut favorite RT starter and if anything happens to Glenn or Price, there could be real problems again this year on offense.

"Best Pick": Billy Price.  Fills a position of need with best available player.  Rangow may have been their guy but it wasn't to be.  Price will bring pro-bowl intangibles to a position that the Bengals have not drafted in the first round in decades.  He is nasty, has an edge to his personality, and a born leader.  He needs to work on some technique so he doesn't lunge with his head but he is ultra aggressive, an alpha male player and will hold others accountable.

"Questionable Pick":  Hubbard.  I am a Buckeye fan and love the player but I think Harrison Philips was the better pick at a defensive position and Orlando Brown would have been a better pick at a position of strong need.  Maybe Brown doesn't fit the work ethic schema that the Bengals used this year in the drafting process or maybe  his performance at the Combine caused the Front Office pause.  I hope Hubbard has a monster year.

"Sleeper Pick": Phillips CB.  I do not know if Phillips will be a dime back or even on the field that often as a defensive back.  I think he will eventually replace Erickson on teams and be an electric kick returner.  I think he can be a game-changer on special teams.

Overall Draft Grade: C+  

What he said.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: GIVE ME YOUR BENGALS DRAFT GRADES! - 3wt - 04-28-2018, 11:30 PM