Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2/5 of our O-line still concerns me & could prevent us having a Top 10 or better line
(04-30-2018, 01:55 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Bengals chose to take DE Sam Hubbard and LB Malik Jefferson in round 3.

I like the potential of both 3rd round choices, however, I am still concerned about the right side of our O-line. Should Fisher falter or have resurfacing health issues then it becomes former 7th round pick Bobby Hart's show at right tackle. Totally dismissing the 3rd round offensive line options that were available in this draft may turn out to be unwise.

The combination of potential tackles/guards that were taken in round 3 include: Brandon Parker 65th overall to Oakland, Geron Christian 74th overall to Washington, Martinas Rankin 80th overall to Houston, Orlando Brown Jr 83rd overall to the Ravens, Joseph Noteboom 89th overall to the Rams, Chukwuma Okorafor 92nd overall to the Steelers, Alex Cappa 94th overall to the Bucs, Mason Cole 97th overall to Arizona.

Assuming 3rd round offensive lineman cannot become productive while also concluding that both of the players taken by the Bengals in round 3 (Hubbard/Jefferson) will no doubt be better options than any of those O-lineman that could have been taken in round 3 seems closed minded to me.

Especially when you are pinning your backup hopes in a 7th rounder Bobby Hart should Fisher fail or get hurt; while also pinning your hopes in Westerman a 5th rounder.

There are no guarantees with any pick and a risk/reward decision is being made each time a pick is made. The Bengals chose not to choose any of the offensive lineman named above over Hubbard and Jefferson. The reward is more depth and competition at the DE and linebacker positions. The risk is the loss of potential depth and competition on the right side of our offensive line.

If 5th rounder Westerman and 2nd rounder Fisher perform well and lock down the right side of our O-line then all will be well. Should one of Westerman or Fisher fail, it may become the 7th rounder Bobby Hart show at right tackle or some other later round pick may have to take Westerman's spot mid season.

One of those 3rd round offensive lineman may be showing good developmental signs on another team right around the time we realize mid season that we could have used him on our team. Hence the risk of not adding O-line competition.

On the other hand next season, both Hubbard and Jefferson could be shining (or maybe not) and our O-line could be functioning well (or maybe not).

The Bengals have chosen not to challenge Westerman, Fisher or even Hart with any additional drafted talent from round 3.

Hope it works out and it may. If it does we get a shot at Hubbard and/or Jefferson possibly panning out versus the 3rd round O-lineman we may have taken possibly panning out. If Westerman or Fisher or both struggle, it could be another long season with all of us having a ticket to the Bobby Hart Show.

Risk/reward

I am hoping it all works out because the Bengals appear to be all in on this Plan.

OK.  I am gonna say to you,  Calm down.  Back away from the ledge,  it is all fine.

I too was enamored with Will Hernandez, and I would have looked at trading some of our 7th rounders to try to move up and get him (from NYG).  However, there is no way to know if NYG would have taken the offer.  So maybe we did, maybe we didn't.

So I started digging into who we have on the roster.  I then saw Christian Westerman was considered a 2-3 round prospect that we was able to get in the 5th round.  So basically he has the same grade as Will Hernandez but just happened to be available for our 5th round pick.

The scouts all compared him to Alex Mack and that he would be great at the guard position.

So our line will have Glenn Boling Price Westerman and ?

Our OTs on the team are:

Fisher (I am pulling for him, and think he is the best option here) - was his play due to the heart issue?  That is the question.  If he is cleared and wants to compete then let him.  If he wins the job then I have great faith in Frank Pollack coaching him up to being the RT that we wanted a few years ago.  After all Pollack was a OG/OT player while PA was a piano player.

Ogbuehi Again if he wins the position, I am willing to bet he will not be the same player that we have come to expect.  He has the tools, but hasn't put it together.  I think his biggest issue may be the speed of the game.

Hart A new addition that was on the Giants team last year.  Doesn't look like anything special but he did work out with LeCharles Bentley and he did work his way into the starting lineup in NY as opposed to be handed the position.  Sounds like there are conflicting reports are what actually transpired and he would have a lot to prove.

Perkins was a rookie last year, but as an UDFA, he isn't really inspiring confidence from the fan base to get the spot, but he did play for Texas and that is a good football program.

Justin Murray another new guy and another UDFA.  Probably the longest shot to even make the team, but he has been on the PS of many teams.

Rod Taylor was a late round pick up in this draft.  Yes a 7th rounder from Ole Miss who started every game.  SEC does have some good players in that conference, so his competition level in college was high and the RB that he was blocking for?  Jordan Wilkens who went to the Colts in the 5th round and he had a career average of 6.4 ypc.  While I don't see him as the starter.  I wouldn't be upset if he was.

Some of the OGs can step into the OT spot if needed.

Bottom line: This line will be tied to Frank Pollack.  He did well in Houston and Dallas.  I believe I read somewhere that he turned Doug Free into a Pro-Bowler and that was no mean feat.  If he does here what he did there we will have a solid OLine and Mixon will be a fantasy RB stud.

So hopefully this helps you with the lack of us getting OLine until later.  It should also make for a fun Offseason as we all wait to find out who our RT will be.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2/5 of our O-line still concerns me & could prevent us having a Top 10 or bett... - YsCascadia - 04-30-2018, 03:41 PM