Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gio on Pollack (with commentary)
(05-01-2018, 09:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually you don't know.

There is more to coaching than screaming and squealing.  That is why Buddy Ryan sucked as a head coach while soft spoken Tony Dungy was one of the greatest of all time.

I think in high school and college a grown man screaming at a boy might be effective, but when grown men start yelling at other grown men there has to be something to respect behind that yelling or else the man getting yelled at will not respond. And if a grown man respects another mans knowledge then that other man does not have to scream at him to teach him. 

Obviously I am not saying that all screaming coaches suck, but I think way too many fans put way too much weight on how loud a coach can scream or pitch a fit.

You can say "grown men" all you want but ... and this is, of course, a big but ... most of these guys are in their early-to-mid-20's.

If you're, say 45, you can probably remember your early-to-mid-20's well enough to know that you weren't a grown man at that age. You thought you were but if you're honest with yourself, you'd admit that you were very immature.

Hell, I'm almost 70 and I know I certainly was immature way back then. My wife would say I'm immature now, tho, so who knows.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gio on Pollack (with commentary) - PV Bengal - 05-01-2018, 09:42 AM