Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Up, Bengals Have To Cut Salary Cap
(05-01-2018, 09:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is the key to me.

Some people claim that Willis looked great last year.  In the few games I got to see he did nothing special and his full season production based on stats was not very impressive.

However, as you all know, I am the guy who never judges a player too harshly based on his rookie season.  So if Willis has continued to develop and MJ has slipped another notch due to age it is possible that MJ could be gone.

Like I said before many times the contract extensions are not done until training camp.  So maybe the coaches will want to see Willis and MJ on the field before they make any decisions.

Hubbard looks like a more natural replacement for MJ than Willis, but I don't know if he will be ready his rookie year.

(05-01-2018, 04:41 PM)redwood Wrote: MJ did well sliding to DT.  Short term?  He's  apt to remain.  Hubbard COULD drop a little weight and be a LB/DE swing guy. He was an All State FS in HS.  Not thinking he can bulk up to be a DE/DT.

Rey is NOT great but is rather durable and versatile.   We CAN let him go. Will we?  Well.. maybe if we need to. Hewitt and Iloka ain't going anywhere, we don't have a replacement. LaFell? Might be gone next Year.  i'm SURE the Bengals PRIORITY is " get better" ,so,  to save SOME $....they will need to be sure they have a replacement.   I said SURE.   Not " maybe that 7th rd guy does good....."

after a couple preseason games.... we get a few good clues.

Here's the thing.  If MJ is slipping into role player status, that guy that sees some downs at one spot and some downs at another, are y'all comfortable with still paying him starting DE salary?  Let's just let camp and preseason play out.  MJ was looking mighty tired toward the end of the year, last season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next Up, Bengals Have To Cut Salary Cap - SunsetBengal - 05-01-2018, 08:40 PM