Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Up, Bengals Have To Cut Salary Cap
I found Bengals. com article by Geoff Hobson of March 17th, 2018 of headline BENGALS TAKE A STEP BACK AFTER 6 BUSY DAYS. This story can be Googled up and easily found. In this news story it says Bengals went over their free agent budget by 10 Million dollars. It says that resigning Eifert, Lasor bringing in Matt Barkley that the Bengals had no idea they could get Left Tackle Cordy Glenn or Middle Linebacker Preston Brown. As of March 17th it said " Bengals will deal with the 10 Million later ". It says Bengals now tight on free agency money will probably not keep Bodine, Hill and probably not Pacman Jones. It says Bengals have to go into draft looking at Center. On the 10 Million more they spent on free agency than they planned. a very short paragraph stands out. " Try early May. The Bengals figure to jettison some contracts, but it's doubtful they would do it before the draft. "

There is also this from Ian Rapoport @RapSheet. " If #Bengals Vontaze Burfict loses his appeal on a 4-game suspension, the guarantees in his 3 year, 33M contract will void. That's nearly 11.3 M. Which means the Bengals can move on if they want to " This was dated March 16th and Hobson was dated March 17th. This is in a story by Patrick Judis in SB NATION. Cincy Jungle of March 16th of headline, " Should Bengals Move On From Vontaze Burfict After 3rd Suspension In 3 Years ?

On April 2nd CBS Sports has headline, "Bengals Shoot Down Vontaze Burfict Trade Rumors."

So I go back to Hobson March 17th saying Bengals figure to jettison some contracts in May due to spending 10 Million more in free agency than they planned. I have to wonder if Bengals now getting back 11.3 Million on Burfict contact changes the " jettison " of other contracts.

Now you can't just use the modern catch phrase on everything, " Fake News ", because since March 16th and March 17th, most of these things came to pass. Bodine, Hill are gone. Pacman Jones not trying to be signed. Center was addressed early in draft. So is Hobson saying Bengals to jettison contracts in May also accurate?

I have to feel the " jettison of contracts " could still happen in May as Hobson said in March. According to Hobson Bengals say they have 10 Million in free agent over spending to deal with. Now if Burfict suspension means much of Burfict contract is void and Bengals get back 11.3 Million of his contract, that could be the 10 Million right there. So maybe the suspension makes it so the jettison of contracts no longer needed. I'm thinking this mean Burfict stays but at 11.3 Million less, but it's way too legal and inside front office stuff. Did Hobson factor in the contracts of Bodine, Hill and Pacman if not on team ? The Pacman contract and a huge saving in the Burfict contact due to suspension clauses could wipe out the 10 Mil maybe, but it is for high paid lawyers to figure out.

You put it all together, and I still come back with players getting cut in May to get the 10 Million back is very possible in the original Hobson story. I guess we find out in May. Just don't be surprised if " Bengals jettison contracts in May ", as Hobson said March 17th. I feel either way that Bengals have been making changes and will have a better team in 2018, so for that, GO BENGALS.

I MUST NOW ADD that I just saw someone on this site posted Bengals not picking up 5th year option on Ogbuehi who was First Round pick of recent years. If that is true, then Hobson in March was correct on Bengals To Jettison Contracts In May.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next Up, Bengals Have To Cut Salary Cap - kevin - 05-03-2018, 12:49 AM