Poll: Should the Bengals have traded up past DET to get Ragnow?
Yes!
No, Price is fine and the extra pick(s) not worth giving up
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
If Ragnow was really the target at 21...
(05-03-2018, 06:04 PM)redwood Wrote: Well..... I'd go more with calculated guess.  crapshoot is TOO random (unless you suck at it). Bill Walsh's drafting for the Niners, was no crapshoot. He saw who a guy could be and had the coaching staff to make it happen.   I'm talking about rd 4 and later they get guys who START in Super Bowls.  A LOT of them.  A GOOD draft can move you up. A GREAT draft... REALLY elevates everything.

It is not just about selecting the right players.  It is also about coaching them up and using them properly.  A lot of those picks that flourished under Walsh and his staff might have flopped somewhere else.  When you look at how every QB has failed for the Browns I think some of those guys might have turned out alright on other teams.

But even Walsh had a lot of misses.  the year they took MOntana in the third their second round pick was an unknown RB named James Owens.  The next year he used a first round pick on a DE named Jim mStucky who never became a starter.  Even the amazing '81 draft that feautured 3 DBs who all started as rookies for a Super Bowl Champion team had a second round pick used on NT Jim Harty.  In '84 his first and second round picks were both flops (LB Todd Shell, TE John Frank).

Some teams are better than other at picking players, but it is still a big crapshoot even for the best teams.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If Ragnow was really the target at 21... - fredtoast - 05-04-2018, 09:10 AM