Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ogbuehi's 5th year option declined
(05-02-2018, 03:07 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I'm of two minds with this, both probably predictable. First is it's sad to think how the pick for him turned out as it has. We needed better obviously. Secondly, I am even more encouraged with the new regime on board, taking the loss while being humanitarian giving him one last chance to produce, at least into camp. Now it won't surprise if he is cut....

It would surprise me if he was cut, simply due to Mike Brown not wanting to eat the money.

He has a $2.97m cap hit this season. If they cut him, they still take a $1.68m cap hit in dead space. So they could save $1.29m, but then they would have to pay another person on the roster, and that 7th round Rod Taylor guy is expect to have a cap hit of just under $500k if he makes the team. So then it would turn out to be about a $790k savings.

I'm not sure Mike Brown eats the dead cap space just to pay another guy. Maybe he would, but between the dead cap space and giving up on a 1st round pick, I would put favorable odds on Ogbuehi making the team for reasons entirely other than ability. Maybe a change of scenery trade near cutdown time? Because then they could point to a conditional 7th rounder as returned value or something.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Ogbuehi's 5th year option declined - pally - 05-02-2018, 02:54 PM
RE: Ogbuehi's 5th year option declined - TheLeonardLeap - 05-04-2018, 01:50 PM