Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump calls on Congress to pull back $15 billion in spending, including on CHIP
(05-10-2018, 10:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: Not for nothing but both of our children were preemies. Because of their birth weight (2lb 10oz and 1lb 111/2oz) we were given a state medical card even though we both worked and both and insurance.  In fact it was one of the first things that happened after both births.  they scheduled a meeting with the person who did all the work for us to get the card as fast as possible.

Out insurances were tapped out almost immediately but thanks to that card we paid maybe $100.00 total to bring both of them home safely and healthy.

Close to one million dollars between the two of them and my wife's bills when her liver started bleeding due to complications from the second pregnancy.

That net saved us...and we were in a good place.  It needs to be there for those who are not.

I have been fortunate to never have to rely on government assistance. I have lots of family and friends, though, that have. I know the impact it makes on people and how necessary these programs actually are. Getting involved more in the local community and seeing how these programs are actually needed by people and understanding more about them is what moved me to the left. My wife would like to take the credit, but really it was learning more about the functions of our government and its failings.

Most people don't understand these programs, even the people that rely on them. They don't know how they work, how they're funded, the requirements, or the results. This is because these everyday programs are run by bureaucrats that don't seek praise and don't play politics. They do their jobs to help the public. Unfortunately, this low-key approach is why people are ignorant to these policies and why they don't realize how much of a blow to our people their cuts will be.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump calls on Congress to pull back $15 billion in spending, including on CHIP - Belsnickel - 05-10-2018, 10:26 AM