Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You cannot stop all gun violence
(05-11-2018, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mass shooting are a cultural phenomenon in the US.  Mass shooting (not family related murder/suicide) have more to do with our society's obsession with fame than gun ownership.

A higher percentage of US citizens owned guns in 1970 than now, but back then mass shooting were almost unheard of.  And I am sure we had just as many crazy people.

Pretty much this. Anytime there's a shooting, it gets plastered over the entirety of the internet and national TV now. There's a reason why it seems like all these people have extensively researched and obsessed over past shooters.

That youtube shooter is a great example. She was a big 'ol nobody that was trying to be famous online and floundering. She goes and shoots some people, and suddenly for a week or two, everyone in the country knows her name and her material gets more attention than it ever did prior.

That's a problem with 24-hr news/internet news/social media. Everyone is looking for something to fill all of that time with, so criminals are being enshrined in national and sometimes even global attention more than ever.

I checked a news feed on my phone earlier today and saw there was some school shooting that happened today in California. 1 person was injured, and it's on CNN, CBS, ABC, the LA Times. I live in Ohio. In the past I would have never heard of that happening. One person got injured and it's national news now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]

Messages In This Thread
You cannot stop all gun violence - GMDino - 05-11-2018, 12:20 PM
RE: You cannot stop all gun violence - TheLeonardLeap - 05-11-2018, 03:04 PM