Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Me Too Champion showed it was him too
(05-11-2018, 03:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I guess I am more jaded about this issue than many of you because of my profession. As a criminal defense attorney I have seen multiple cases of women lying about consensual sex and claiming rape just because they were mad at their boyfriend/lover.

Rape cases are very complicated because both parties can agree that they had sex, then the question becomes "What was each person thinking when they had sex?"

The advocates against sexual assault and rape almost never consider the power they are giving women. They never even consider that a woman would get mad at a man and want to lie to get him in trouble, but it happens a lot. Sometimes it is not even them getting mad at the guy. Instead it is a fear that their parents will find out, or maybe a boyfriend will find out she had sex with another guy. Then consensual sex becomes rape. And even in cases where there is zero evidence of any force being used the guy could be in deep shit.

I get what you're saying here, especially because I deal with sexual assault cases somewhat regularly. We had four cases this year that were reported and I sat on the three-person board for each one. I am not going to say here and say false reports don't happen, but the rate at which they happen is highly overblown. False rape accusations occur at a rate similar to other violent crimes, but you wouldn't know that based on the way people talk about it.

Even with preponderance being our level of evidence, we are very strict on procedures and evidence in our proceedings because this is such a serious situation. We're currently dealing with a female student who is unhappy with the outcome of the case putting the university on blast because we found her attacker not responsible. I was on the board, and in truth I believe sexual assault took place. But the evidence wasn't there to support it and so I can't justify suspending or expelling him because my gut says he is a raping douchebag.

I get that this is a touchy subject, often because when people look at this topic from the viewpoint I am coming from it can make you feel a little uncomfortable. We could probably all look at these standards and see interactions we've had as non-consensual. That isn't a good feeling. But maybe that highlights how we need to improve the conversation around this topic.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Me Too Champion showed it was him too - Belsnickel - 05-11-2018, 03:16 PM