Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump supporters don't want to talk about Trump
(05-14-2018, 04:13 PM)Dill Wrote: I would say that some Trump fans do want to "talk" about him--but not in forums where what they say will be contested, and not really about policy.  I don't believe I have yet encountered a real Trump supporter who was a policy wonk.  The little they have to say about policy beyond repeats WH/Fox talking points. And when those are blown up there is (with one exception in this forum) silence.

If you follow the comments on Daily Wire and Breitbart articles you will see there is lots of talk and support--even for the craziest tweets and most random decisions, not to mention the most vile ad hominem.

A forum like this presents great difficulties for that sort discourse:

1) people get suspended or banned for calling people names. And

2) there is plenty of space and opportunity to challenge Trump policy/behavior on factual and logical grounds, and people ready to do it. 

Most of the people who defend Trump on this forum see themselves as attacking Democrat/Liberal policies rather than defending Trump.

So they are in a bind. "Whatabout Clinton" and calling out "hypocrisy" doesn't get them very far, as no previous AMERICAN politician in history compares to Trump  And some defenders are not people who themselves condone childish name calling, so they are uncomfortable running interference for someone who does that from the highest, most traditionally revered office in the land.  Just a very difficult position for anyone claiming to espouse conservative values, and remembers what those are.

Not a very good situation for all of us, really, since even oblique defenses tend to normalize undisciplined, dangerous, even pathological behavior, extending his time in office.

Another thing I thought of is as we only know what each other does HERE it is difficult to escape the opinion that that is ALL we do.  

A lot of my online posts is pointing out Trump fallacies and follies...but there are so many to pick from!  It's not the only thing I do though.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump supporters don't want to talk about Trump - GMDino - 05-14-2018, 04:36 PM