Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Korea threatens to withdraw from summit with Trump
(05-16-2018, 10:04 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: What Kim has been doing is nothing different than what has happened before. Right now, he is setting the stage to pigeonhole Trump in a way where they will meet, he gets a photo op which equals respect as a world leader in his mind, and he will make unreasonable claims. They'll walk away from the summit and Kim will announce some new nuclear project.

The only real thing that is new has been the razing of the nuclear test site and all of that. However, this is a site that was (IIRC) reported to be suffering from cave ins from instability as a result of the testing done there. So they may have determined the site was unsafe to continue testing in and already had plans to move to a different location.

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I don't expect anything to come of this.

(05-16-2018, 10:26 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Am I the only one that things it was massively stupid to hold military exercises (which are entirely designed to show off) while you are trying to broker a peace deal? Maybe NK would have changed their mind and cancelled the summits anyways for another reason, but why give them an easy out? Military exercises are cancelled and rescheduled all the time. If we had competent people in the state department/Pentagon/Whitehouse they would have known these exercises would only hurt the chance for peace.

I'm not sure this is one of the threads where we are allowed to talk about Trump, but these two posts speak to his lack of understanding about international politics and policy.  While everyone else was talking about the reasons this type of meeting has never happened and the pitfalls of going all in when announcing it, Trump and his fans insisted it was his unorthodox style that made this time different.  And the only difference is we have POTUS who may end up getting played by NK with nothing to show for it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: North Korea threatens to withdraw from summit with Trump - GMDino - 05-16-2018, 10:31 AM