Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Korea threatens to withdraw from summit with Trump
(05-16-2018, 03:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who won the election is determined by the electoral college.

What is most popular with the most citizens is not.

Stop acting like the electoral college has anything to do with what a majority of US citizens want.

And why would anyone be embarrassed about being correct?

(05-16-2018, 04:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Were I discussing the outcome of the election and saying that Clinton should have won, you would have a valid point. However, since the argument I was engaged in was regarding the public opinion on policy issues, and that is something that correlates to the popular vote and not the Electoral College, it is sound logic to defer to the popular vote.

I would have been happy to not discuss the election at all given that I was discussing public opinion on policy. I did not care to embarrass anyone because their invalid arguments or their lack understanding of public opinion and its correlation to the 2016 presidential election, but I certainly am not embarrassed since, as Fred put it, I am correct.

(05-16-2018, 04:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Lucie specifically brought up the notion of Trump's policies being in the majority, and that is something that isn't reflected in the raw data.  The topic of debate was whether or not Trump's policies represent what the majority of voters want.  The data suggests the majority of the voters voted for Clinton as well as against Trump.  When someone asserts that 46 is bigger than 48 you should expect someone to call him out on it.  So what?

Neither the electoral college, nor the results of the election enter into this specific argument.
I'll ask one question:

What would the outcome of the popular vote have been if candidates would have campaigned and folks would have voted knowing that is how we select our POTUS?

I know for me there would have been one more vote from Trump; as I would have not voted 3rd party.

If you guys don't see the folly in pointing to the result of the popular vote when no parameters were establish to suggest it would mean anything, then I cannot be of further assistance. Just know that your pointing to it will be popular to point to popular vote (see what I did) here, but the real world we no it have 0 merit.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: North Korea threatens to withdraw from summit with Trump - bfine32 - 05-16-2018, 04:52 PM