Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Korea threatens to withdraw from summit with Trump
(05-17-2018, 03:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The fallacy is taking a result from a practice, in which, that result it moot. I've given a couple examples on how folks knowing how the EC works can sway the popular vote.

I'll ask you the same question: What would the popular vote have been if the Candidates had campaigned and Americans voted knowing that Popular vote is how we elect POTUS?

If yours or anyone else's answer to that is "I don't know". Then you have just confirmed the irrelevant conclusion. 

There's no disagreement on these things. I get that, would the president be elected another way, Trump would have campaigned differently and might or might not have won the popular vote. I think everyone more or less gets that point.

Just, the way it went, 3 million more people voted for Hillary, hence she was more popular on election day. That's just not a wrong statement. The reason why, if it's due to campaigning, the existance of the EC etc. isn't part of that statement. 
But as far as measuring public opinion goes, an election is the best poll available, the highest of sample sizes etc. I don't really see the problem with that thought. At the very least, I don't find it embarrassing to make that point.

(05-17-2018, 02:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: While I agree that using the popular vote over the electoral college vote is preferrable to try to judge the voting population's opinion of candidate's policies, the problem with using the popular vote is that many voters vote for reasons OTHER than how they view a candidate's policies. Many voters voted for Clinton because of their intense dislike of Trump and how they viewed him as a person (and vice versa) and many voted for Clinton simply because she was a woman (and, I'm sure vice versa as well).

Sure, that's true. It's not a perfect way to measure public opinion, but neither is the EC result. Regarding where the debate started, the popular vote still is a valid counter-argument to saying "the public wants Trump's policies, see election". Most polls indicate that democratic positions are more popular overall, even when there might be exceptions like immigration policy. Trump's election win doesn't disprove that point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: North Korea threatens to withdraw from summit with Trump - hollodero - 05-17-2018, 06:20 PM