Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Constitutional Crisis is Here!
(05-23-2018, 09:28 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This isn't a new thing, though. Opinion pieces have been around for a long time. How long have newspapers been endorsing candidates in elections? the RTD in Virginia has been endorsing almost exclusively conservative candidates since its inception. Others endorse liberal candidates. Their opinion pages line up with that usually with the majority of their contributors having a bent in line with the endorsement.

I really don't understand why anyone is up in arms about this happening. My concern with it isn't that there are differing opinions being offered, my concern is that people aren't reading differing points of view. They aren't actively seeking information. They are conflating news with opinion. They don't know when what they are watching is intended to entertain versus inform. Media literacy is up to the consumer to learn more about. Complaining about the opinion pieces out there from these slanted points of view is just lazy.

25 years ago, when I worked in radio, I would complain about Paul Harvey "News & Comment" because most of the time it was both, together, at the same time.

I started calling it "News & Rumor" until the GM gave me some guff about it.   Smirk

But if it is entirely LABELED opinion then you take it with a grain of salt.  

That's always been the right's argument about Hannity, O'Reilly et al....they are "opinion" shows not news show.  Right?

No need to trust their reporting.  Right?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Constitutional Crisis is Here! - GMDino - 05-23-2018, 09:32 AM