Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New policy requires on-field players, personnel to stand for anthem
(05-24-2018, 08:14 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We yell "Oooooooo" during the Anthem at "O say does that". Some consider it disrespectful. For Baltimore, it's us celebrating a song written in Baltimore about Baltimore.

Yeah, my mom was upset when we were watching the NHL all star game in Chicago after 9/11.  The crowd was very raucous, as a show of support.  She thought it was disrespectful. 

Quote:There's no one way to show our love for this country. If it means exercising your rights by protesting and calling for your country to be better, then that's fine.

I completely agree.  You just have zero right to do so at your place of work and on your employer's dime.

Quote:But the NFL is a private employer. They're asking for trouble by not including the players in this decision, though. It'll be violated.

Then the players would be acting childish and displaying a remarkable lack of understanding about how businesses work.  As most of them have been extraordinarily pampered their entire adult lives I don't suppose we should find that type of reaction surprising.  In any event, the NFL has a long and well established precedent of limiting personal expression while on the job.  Willie Gay got fined for wearing purple cleats to raise domestic violence awareness.  His mother was murdered in front of him by his father.  That seems rather more innocuous than protesting during the national anthem.

(05-24-2018, 09:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: As someone that grew up in an Anabaptist faith, I find the remarks about those that won't stand leaving the country to be in poor taste. There are many people in this nation whose religious convictions are at odds with pledging allegiance or really any form of patriotism, and we're talking Christians.

I agree.  Dissent is fine and something our country was founded and built on.  Just do so on your own time if you want total freedom to do so.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New policy requires on-field players, personnel to stand for anthem - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-24-2018, 10:10 AM