Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Korea threatens to withdraw from summit with Trump
In all seriousness, I've been of the opinion from the start that this summit would either not happen or would be fruitless. Neither Kim nor Trump would approach these negotiations in a way that would be productive. Trump is too much of a zero-sum thinker and Kim is, well, Kim. I truly believe that the reason this summit was canceled by Trump is to maintain the image that he is in control of the situation. It looks better politically for him to walk away then it does for Kim to turn his back on us, and Trump and/or his advisers saw the writing on the wall. Pulling the trigger first reduced the political capital lost with this.

The thing I am going to be waiting on is the DPRK response. There are a lot of different directions I could see them going with this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: North Korea threatens to withdraw from summit with Trump - Belsnickel - 05-24-2018, 11:51 AM