Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Trump on undocumented immigrants: 'These aren't people. These are animals.'
(05-25-2018, 09:22 AM)hollodero Wrote: I don't think that's entirely fair to say. I feel you're making it binary as well here by exaggerating the anti Trump's conduct onto Trump levels.
Trump is Trump after all, he does the things he does and tweets the things he tweets, and almost all (ok, you might say at least quite some) critizism of Trump is validated to some extent - a few examples where it's not don't drag every critic in the mud for good.

To be sure, and I'm not making that argument.  Every Trump statement is not reprehensible and every Trump criticism is not on the worst Trump level.  But take the thread topic as an example.  Trump clearly calls MS13 members animals.  As a person who has dealt, in person, with these guys for years I can tell you that is a kind word to use to describe them.  But the Dems and anti-Trump types immediately latch on to the idea that Trump is talking about all illegal immigrants and actively defend members of a violent street gang.  Look at some of the responses in this thread, one of our posters actually compared US soldiers to ISIS fighters!

If Schumer, Pelosi and like minded people simply stated the obvious, that Trump was talking about MS13 but that his previous comments on illegal immigrants mean he needs to be more clear when making that type of statement in order to avoid being perceived as lumping all illegal immigrants into a group with gang and cartel members.  That I could actually respect.  That would reflect a nuanced view and a willingness to speak the truth instead of using an offhand remark to whip up faux outrage.  If you're outraged at everything then the really important gets lumped in with the inane and this does no one any favors.  It's like the word "racist".  It used to be a word with tremendous power.  It's now been used so much it's lost all meaning.  People laugh when they hear it used.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump on undocumented immigrants: 'These aren't people. These are animals.' - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-25-2018, 09:33 AM