Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player gets booed for upholding personal convictions
(06-04-2018, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you view her opting not to take advantage of an opportunity to play for the National team as self-centered then we disagree. As the salary is $72,000/year to play and there are additional bonuses as well as endorsement deals.

Earlier she was called bigoted; yet she has called for fellow Christians to love homosexuals. Doesn't sound intolerable to me. Also she has denied no one anything 9other that herself), even their equal rights, by not playing.

She did say that? OK, that's a bonus point. Now I'd still appreciate her also not opposing equal rights, but ok that's a bit political. In the end though, I preferred if she'd just not make a big deal out of it, for reasons I don't find quite plausible. Wear the jersey and don't think about it, sometimes life's about going along with unimportant stuff. She just seems unnecessarily stubborn, as if her eternal soul was directly affected or if her beliefes were somehow seriously threatened.
With this kind of action, many will see it as a political statement and as a sign of intolerance - especially since indeed she loses a great personal opportunity by doing so - and I could not dismiss that interpretation. Which sure is her right, I guess no one doubts that, but it's also the public's right to deem her unpopular because of it.

(06-04-2018, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Christians don't just choose not to participate in things because they can't go to heaven if they do it.

Sure, I know that. I brought up the hyperbole because of the "pride is a capital sin" stance, which is a bit extreme in that case. When "pride" objectively (and obviously) is interpreted as having a healthy amount of self-confidence and nothing more than that.

(06-04-2018, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: All parties are free to do what they want/feel. I just took issue with folks booing her because her beliefs are different that theirs; but that may just be my liberal side showing.

Yeah it really starts getting obvious. You have to do something against those liberal flashes...
...in general, and maybe not even in that particular case, I think in some cases it's fine to boo people for their beliefs. I have no issue booing extremists, totalitarians, white supremacists etc. etc. - I'm not saying that's her, I'm saying booing different beliefs is not a fundamental no-no to me.
As I said, I wouldn't boo her. I just can't denounce those that do.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Player gets booed for upholding personal convictions - hollodero - 06-04-2018, 07:13 PM