Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS ruling too late for the child
(06-05-2018, 02:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: Did they stop this abortion from happening? Does it stop other abortions from happening? 

Since the answer to both is no, what did it really accomplish? They stalled is what they did, so while I guess it's better than the alternative it didn't progress their cause I guess would be the best way to describe it. 

If someone loses in a judicial proceeding and then the determination is removed from judicial precedent, that removal is a victory for the losing side. If the ruling remained as precedent then that would result in a fight that would be nearly impossible to win in a similar situation. By vacating the precedent, it allows the next case to be determined on its merits alone and not on the precedent of the earlier case.

As someone that sits on a quasi-judicial government body, I can tell you that when there is a precedent set against you, it makes things much harder.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS ruling too late for the child - Belsnickel - 06-05-2018, 02:39 PM