Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS Rules About Colorodo Baker
(06-04-2018, 11:59 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The phrase "since religious beliefs" is repeated numerous times in the opinion, but it is important to not that in the opinion Kennedy questions where the line is draw, suggesting using this religious argument could be applied to nearly any public accommodation to create a stigma against gay people. He also states that a state can limit someone's religious freedom if they make an argument for public interest (preventing discrimination).

The way I'm reading it, it cannot be a definitive broad based ruling, as every case needs to be looked at on it's individual merits.  As in, does one person's rights end where another person's rights begin.  Because due to the nature of human beings, there will always be instances where say someone refuses to make a cake simply because they don't like gay people, rather than being truly adhering to their deeply rooted religious beliefs.  
After taking time to think about this a bit further, I have a better understanding of the "narrow" scope of the decision, and I see it's importance.  The baker was treated unfairly with hostility by his State court, and SCOTUS is telling States that they must consider both sides on a case.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS Rules About Colorodo Baker - SunsetBengal - 06-05-2018, 05:01 PM