Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player gets booed for upholding personal convictions
(06-07-2018, 03:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: How is her refusal to wear the jersey a sign of disrespect and hate? Are you saying the only options one has to any ideology are to fully support it or to completely hate and disrespect it? Is it not possible to oppose something without hating or disrespecting it?

Am I to assume that you hate and disrespect every Republican? Or every Christian? Or every person who has an ideology you disagree with?

That is a good question, Phil.

For example, I don't disrespect and hate every Christian. I grew up in a Christian home attending supportive churches with my family.  My father was a minister/missionary who frequently helped people out of work, fed the poor, etc.  I do distinguish between kinds of Christians though--basically Old Testament and New Testament--with latter earning my respect and approval. On the other hand, though not myself a Christian, I don't really "oppose" Christianity as a whole. Though I may express scorn for contemporary Christians, you have never heard a disparaging word from me about Jesus and his teachings (as recorded in the 4 gospels). If someone wanted me to wear a local church logos for a charity basketball game, I would not refuse. I do oppose fundamentalisms of every ideological variety, though. How much depends on which. I would not wear a shirt with a logos for the Westboro Baptist Church; that would be a statement of disrespect for that church, but not a condemnation of Christianity.

As far as Republicans go, remember that I am old enough to remember Eisenhower, and the days when liberals and conservatives were spread between both parties. I have often opposed Republicans without hating or disrespecting them; Bush 41 would be one I partly admire as well, along with Bob Dole and John McCain. The majority of the party now seems captured by a leader I despise. But 15-20% share my standards closely enough to despise him as well.

Some "ideologies" do invoke a black and white response--just not all. There aren't "good people on both sides" of a clash between neo-Nazis and protestors.

The shirt test is a pretty good one. I won't wear a MAGA shirt. Or any pro Trump insignia. I think Hinkel refused to wear the National Team jersey for a formally similar reason--doesn't agree with what it stands for and won't "normalize" what it represents.  In her case, that meant gay people living in a society that accepts gay people as normal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Player gets booed for upholding personal convictions - Dill - 06-07-2018, 05:34 PM