Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The High Price of Stale Grievances
(06-12-2018, 01:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I didn't get my ass handed to me on anything.  West has been ripping on Coates since 2015.

Well, yeah, you do.  It's been happening a lot lately.  I think you miss your buddy. 

Quote:http://observer.com/2015/07/cornel-west-delivers-blistering-takedown-of-ta-nehisi-coates/

And his criticism has been praised by the alt right.  You may nor realize it but Coates was probably first brought to your attention because of this.

Ohohoho, another not so clever attempt to tar your enemies by insinuating they are "far-right".  Horribly disingenuous of you, Fred.  But then we expect nothing less.  I've actually been aware of him for a long time, he's the exact type of demagogue that I would prefer to not have helping to steer public discourse.

(06-12-2018, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then he should not have ripped on Michael Eric Dyson who was born in 1958.

Anyone who saw him flail and spout racist invective in the debate with Fry and Peterson has all the ammunition they need to do that without referencing anything else.

Quote:All this guy is doing is building up a straw man.  Almost all serious discussion about racial problems address what is happening today.  I have had lots of serious discussions on racism and I never bring up slavery.

Again, Fred, the world doesn't revolve around you.

Quote:No where does he ever mention that racism still exists today.

Actually the very premise of his essay is that it does.

Quote:All he does is act like racial grievances are "stale" and that "oppression" ended decades ago. Why would he claim that "modern day blacks have to be seen through  the filter of history" if they are still victims of racism today?

Except that's not at all what he said.  I think we can safely end this back and forth.  You think what you think and the rest of us who read it will think the other.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The High Price of Stale Grievances - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-12-2018, 04:34 PM